Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Grilled Chicken and Blueberry-Basil Salsa

With summer fast approaching, we have been grilling more and more. This recipe from Martha Stewart sounded like an interesting one to try. John loves blueberries and using it in a salsa sounded like something fun and different to try.

Grilled Chicken and Blueberry-Basil Salsa

Ingredients
1/2 Tablespoon olive oil plus more to oil grill
2 jalapeno chiles
24 scallions
3 cups blueberries (about 1 lb)
1/2 small red onion, finely chopped
3 1/2 Tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup basil leaves, thinly chopped
1/2 cup cilantro leaves, roughly chopped
2 lbs chicken cutlets (I used boneless, skinless chicken breasts)
pinch cayenne pepper

Directions
Heat grill to medium-high and lightly oil it. Grill jalapenos until slightly charred and blistered, turning frequently, about 15 minutes. Pull off stems and remove skins from chiles. Remove seeds and roughly chop flesh; set aside. Grill scallions, turning often, until soft and charred in spots, about 3 to 4 minutes; set aside.

Pace 2 cups blueberries in a food processor and pulse until coarsely chopped, about 5 time. Transfer to a medium bowl. Add red onion, jalapenos, lime juice and 1/4 teaspoon salt and stir to combine. Add basil, cilantro, remaining cup blueberries and oil and stir to combine.
Sprinkle chicken with the remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt and the cayenne. Grill chicken until cooked through, 3 to 4 minutes per side. Place 4 grilled scallions on each plate, and top with chicken. Serve immediately, topped with a generous spoonful of blueberry salsa. Garnish with basil and cilantro leaves.

Amanda's Analysis:
This was an interesting recipe. First of all, it makes a lot of salsa! We used the next day with leftovers, and still had so much left that we ate it with tortilla chips. I think halving the salsa recipe would provide plenty for the chicken. Secondly, the raw red onions left quite the aftertaste! I woke up the next morning and could still taste the onions! I do think this recipe has potential. The chicken stayed moist and I think with few tweaks (such as cooking the red onions) the salsa would be pretty tasty too. I give this recipe 3 spoons.

John's Jibba-Jabba:
I love me some blueberries. I dislike me some uncooked red onions. This recipe left me conflicted to say the least. It tasted OK except for the onions. They were overpowering and lingered well after I finished eating. I think I would really like this recipe if we made it again without the onions or with a different type of onion. The rest of the recipe turned out very good, too bad it was ruined for me by the onions. This recipe gets 2 spoons.

No comments: