Sunday, October 31, 2010

Pumpkin Whoopie Pies

I made these for this month's potluck at work. It was my turn to bring dessert and I knew I wanted to bring something seasonal. I found this recipe for Pumpkin Creme Pies and I knew they would be perfect!


Pumpkin Whoopie Pies

Ingredients
-Cookies
1 cup Brown Sugar
1 cup Sugar
1 cup Vegetable Oil
1 (15 oz) can Pumpkin
2 Eggs
1 teaspoon Vanilla
3 cups Flour
1 teaspoon Baking Soda
1 teaspoon Baking Powder
1 Tablespoon Cinnamon
1 teaspoon Ground Ginger
1/2 teaspoons Salt
1/2 teaspoons Ground Nutmeg
1/4 teaspoons Ground Cloves

-Filling
1 (8 oz) package Cream Cheese Softened
1 stick Unsalted Butter, Room Temperature
1 lb package Powdered Sugar
1/2 teaspoon drops Vanilla Extract
1/2 teaspoon Cinnamon

Directions
-Cookies
Beat together brown sugar, sugar, oil and pumpkin. Add eggs one at a time, mixing well after each. Add vanilla.

In a separate bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients. Slowly add the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients until just combined.

Cut 3-inch squares of parchment paper, about 40, and place onto baking sheets. Using a pastry bag fitted with a large round tip, squeeze out concentric circles of batter, starting in the middle and working outward, until the circles are about 2 inches in diameter.

Bake at 350° for about 12 minutes, or until centers are firm. Let cool completely.

-Filling
Beat together cream cheese and butter. Add powdered sugar, vanilla and cinnamon. Frost flat side of one cookie and top with a second cookie.

Eat right away or store in the fridge for up to three days.


Amanda's Analysis:
These cookies did not disappoint! Although they are not in the least bit healthy, they tasted exactly like fall. The cookies did get a little sticky; I think next time I will bake them a little longer. They came together fairly quickly and were very much worth the few extra steps. I give these whoopie pies 6 spoons!

John's Jibba-Jabba:
Amanda was nice enough to make a few extra so I could enjoy these cookies as well. I am sure glad she did. These cookies were very good and very appropriate for the season. The first critique I would make is that the filling ended up being too heavy, I would have liked it to be a bit lighter and more airy. I would also suggest that you consume these as soon as possible (not a big problem for this guy) because the cookies will get soft and lose their integrity over time. These cookies get 6 spoons.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yea a new recipe on Seven Spoons. I think I'm going to try these. They look tasty and festive for the season. Alina and I had pumpkin shake/concrete at Culvers a couple weeks ago and those were very good and have me craving pumpkin.
Mom