Monday, June 27, 2011

Sausage and Lentil Stew

I recently discovered a new food blog, Budget Bytes, and when I saw this recipe for Sausage and Lentil Stew, I wanted to make it immediately.


Sausage and Lentil Stew

Ingredients
1 pound Italian sausage
1 onion, diced
3 carrots, chopped
4 celery stalks, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 cups lentils, picked through and rinsed
6 cups chopped kale
6 cups chicken broth
1 teaspoon cayenne
1 teaspoon paprika
1 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon oregano

Directions
Cook sausage in a large pot over medium heat. Once sausage is cooked, add vegetables and garlic and cook until onions are soft, about 5 minutes. Add lentils, kale, chicken broth and spices. Bring pot to a boil. Cover and reduce heat; let simmer for 30 minutes or until lentils are soft.


Amanda's Analysis:
Unfortunatly, I can now add dried oregano to the list of foods that upset my stomach. While I didn't feel well an hour after eating this, I did, however, really enjoy this stew! It had a nice spicy flavor and a heartiness from the sausage and lentils. I will definitely make this stew again, without the oregano of course! 6 spoons!

John's Jibba-Jabba:
Since Amanda could not stomach this stew, I ended up eating the leftovers of this dish for every meal for a solid week. This gave me plenty of opportunities to critique the dish. In the end, I found this dish to be an extremely tasty dish. It is an economical and healthy dish that has great depth of flavor. This lentil stew gets 6 spoons (and keep the oregano coming).

1 comment:

KandBLoux said...

Ohooo, Lentils. Those are up there with brussel sprouts. It does sound like a dish that Dad would like. Have you every worked with Kale before? Not good about the oregano. Thanks for sharing and always love your pictures.
Mom