Sunday, March 20, 2011

Slow Cooker Apple Curry Chicken

I finally found a slow cooker recipe that I like! After receiving a slow cooker for a wedding present I was excited to make all sorts of delicious food in it. However, that excitement was quickly lost after the first few things I tried fell flat. John found this recipe and suggested we give it a try. I reluctantly agreed, but I am sure glad I did!

Slow Cooker Apply Curry Chicken

Ingredients
1 onion, diced
1 apple, diced
4 chicken breasts
1/2 pound red potatoes, quartered
2 Tablespoons curry powder
1 Tablespoon olive oil
salt and pepper

Directions
In a bowl, mix onions, apples, oil and 1 Tablespoon curry. Set aside.

Season chicken with salt, pepper and remaining curry powder. Place chicken in the slow cooker and pour onion mixture on top. Cook on low for about 6 hours.

Amanda's Analysis:
I thought this was very tasty! This recipe has only a few ingredients but they work together well to bring a lot of flavor to the chicken and potatoes. The potatoes came out nice and soft and the apples and onions reduced down to make a nice sauce to pour on the chicken. I give this recipe 6 spoons!

John's Jibba-Jabba:
I am not one to go down without a fight. I really like the idea of slow cooker recipes, but we have not had much success with them in the past. I think our persistence in looking for a winner paid off with this recipe though. The flavors really came together nicely and there was an added bonus in the form of wonderful aromas which filled our kitchen throughout the day. One critique I would add is that the recipe was very vague and did not provide specifics about chicken placement. I put it on top, and while everything else cooked nicely, the chicken came out a little dry. Next time I would make sure to put the chicken on the bottom so that all the juices from the apple and vegetables can keep it moist. Other than that this slow cooker recipe turned out well and will probably become a regular in our kitchen. I give it 5 spoons.

No comments: