Sunday, March 6, 2011

Broccoli Cheddar Soup

I love soups. They are so warm and comforting on a cold day. This recipe was posted earlier this month on Annies Eats, and I immediately knew I wanted to make it. I only slightly altered it to fit my preferences.



Broccoli Cheddar Soup

Ingredients
6 Tablespoons butter, divided
3/4 cup chopped onion
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 cup shredded carrots
4 cups small broccoli florets
3 cups chicken broth
4 Tablespoons flour
2 cups milk
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
salt and pepper

Directions
In a dutch oven, melt 2 Tablespoons of butter over medium heat. Add onion and garlic and saute until tender, about 5-7 minutes. Add carrots to the pan and cook for a few minutes more. Stir in the broccoli and chicken broth. Bring the mixture to a boil; reduce the heat to a simmer and cover.

In a medium saucepan, melt remaining butter. Add flour and cook for 1-2 minutes until golden brown, whisking constantly. Whisk in milk and cook until the mixture thickens and bubbles, about 5 minutes. Once the mixture has thickened, whisk in the cheese until completely melted. Remove from heat and add the cheese sauce to the soup pot. Allow to simmer until warmed through and broccoli is tender. Season with salt and pepper to taste.


Amanda's Analysis:
This soup was full of flavor. It was creamy, cheesy and comforting. It was fairly quick to throw together, and I liked that it didn't need to simmer for an hour like most soups do. This recipe will be added to my recipe box and pulled out next winter when I am trying to warm up. I give this soup 7 spoons!

John's Jibba-Jabba:
The soup was pretty good. The broccoli maintained its texture nicely in this soup. Mushy broccoli is one thing that sinks most broccoli soups. It was a bit under seasoned and could have used more pepper. I give it 6 spoons.

No comments: