Monday, January 31, 2011

Easy Beef Bourguignon

Beef roast was on sale this week at the grocery store (I love a good sale!) so I picked one up. At first I was just going to roast it in the crockpot, but then I found this recipe from allrecipes.com and thought I'd give it a whirl.


Beef Bourguignon

Ingredients
1/3 cup flour
2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon pepper
3 pounds cubed stew meat
6 Tablespoons butter
1 onion, chopped
4 carrots, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 cups red wine
1 cup beef broth
2 bay leaves
1 1/2 Tablespoons dried parsley
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme


Directions
In a bowl, combine flour, salt and pepper. Add beef and toss to coat evenly.

Melt butter in a dutch oven over medium high heat. Add meat and brown on all sides. Remove beef and set aside.

Add onion, carrots and garlic to pan. Saute until onions are tender, about 5 minutes. Add wine, beef broth, bay leaves, parsley and thyme and stir to combine. Return meat to pan and stir.

Bake, covered, at 350° for 2 hours.

Amanda's Analysis:
This was a fun meal to make. I love using my dutch oven, but I don't do it often enough. This is a simplified version of Beef Bourguignon, but it had a lot of flavor. If I made it again I would find a way to add more vegetables so it wasn't just meat. I give this Beef Bourguignon 5 spoons.

John's Jibba-Jabba:
Beef, it's what we had for dinner. I wish this dish had more going on because it was very one note. Perhaps next time including some potatoes and adding more garlic would be a nice change. I give this beefy bourguignon 4 spoons.

2 comments:

Dad said...

Mom made this for dinner last night and it was wonderful. She did add celery and peas to it. That added to the flavor. I would give this seven spoons. Good recipe.

Dad

Mom said...

Mom's Miss Mash,
THIS DISH WAS DELICIOUS! I haven't made "stew" very much in my life but I was excited to try this dish as it gave me an excuse to try out my dutch oven from Amanda and John. I only used 2 pounds of stew meat but added celery to the sauteed vegetables. I also added peas during the last 15 minutes of cooking. I was surprised how easy this dish was and the flavor was overwhelmingly good. I even had it for lunch the next day. I will definately add this to my recipe box. I give this 7 spoons.