Sunday, November 14, 2010

Butternut Squash and Caramelized Onion Pizza

We recently received several butternut squashes from John's parent's garden. I was looking for some new recipes to use the squash and came upon this one for Butternut Squash and Caramelized Onion Pizza from one of my favorite blogs, Closet Cooking. Like everything on his blog, this looked absolutely delicious and I had to try it!



Butternut Squash and Caramelized Onion Pizza


Ingredients
2 cups butternut squash, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
1 Tablespoon curry powder
1 Tablespoon olive oil
1 Tablespoon butter
1 large onion, sliced
1 clove garlic, minced
1 thumb ginger, grated
1 Tablespoon curry powder
1/4 cup chicken broth
1 pizza dough
2 cups mozzarella cheese, grated
1/4 cup feta, crumbled
1 handful cilantro, chopped

Directions
Toss the butternut squash with oil and 1 Tablespoon curry powder. Roast squash at 400° until tender, about 30 minutes. Set aside.

Melt butter in a pan over low heat. Add onions and cook until caramelized, stirring frequently, about 30 minutes. Add garlic, ginger and 1 Tablespoon curry powder and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add broth, deglaze the pan and simmer for a few minutes to thicken.

Spread onion mixture over pizza dough followed by butternut squash. Top with cheeses.

Bake at 450° until golden brown, about 12 minutes. Garnish with cilantro before serving.

Amanda's Analysis:
This pizza was amazing! I would never had put these ingredients together on my own, but the rich flavors complimented each other so well and I could still taste each individual ingredient. I think the cilantro really put it over the top. I did slightly adapt the recipe to fit what I had on hand, but I would make this again this way. I give this pizza 7 spoons!

John's Jibba-Jabba:
My mother was kind enough to give us a bunch of her home-grown butternut squash. This pizza turned out to be a very good use of some of the squash. It was a very unique combination of flavors, but it sure worked. I especially liked the flavor of the caramelized onions and ginger. Thanks mom for the squash and thanks Amanda for finding this excellent recipe. This pizza pie gets 7 spoons.

No comments: